Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Hello World

My name is Lauren, or better yet known as Minni most of the time. I never thought I would be doing this, because let’s face it my brother and my mom are the writer’s in the family and they are hilarious, but at the same time have amazing messages when they write. So why would I be doing this…great question I have no idea. However, the time has come, and I have caved to this crazy phenomenon called blogging. I figured that I have graduated from school (college that is, not high school people), and soccer is over. So I need to pick up some other hobbies and time fillers. My blog is going to have random thoughts, because I am a random person; quotes because I absolutely love and live off quotes. And finally stories, because everyone has a story to share…right?!
I am a person that tends to keep to myself. One of my new year’s resolutions, or better put for me as a goal, is to get out of my shell, and do things that I would never usually do. For those that know me this is not something I usually do. For me, this is getting out of my shell or box so to speak. So here we go…hope you all enjoy.

I know that in November and December we all share things that we are grateful for, because it’s Thanksgiving and Christmas. Well I am going to go against the norm and tell you that during this month of January I have never been so grateful in my entire life. Blessing after blessing has hit me in the face (not literally or that would hurt). I have begun to have that realization of how great my life really is.
In high school I thought I knew everything that life had to offer, which was just like any other kid you would find in high school. I thought I knew what it was like to work hard, pay for things, go through trials, be independent, and the best one is know everything. Haha I look back and think gosh that was a joke. Even in college I thought I knew about all of these things. The past couple of months I have found myself humbled, grateful for what I have, and excited for the things that I am going to learn.
This all started in August, which was my last semester of college. I think gosh Lauren it took you all the way until your last semester to start to learn all this. But hey at least I am starting to learn, right. In August I had a goal to finish school and soccer; go home; find a job; and save money to either go back to school or travel. Soccer season started and so did school. During the middle of Fall I was completely focused on finishing school and soccer, and then starting my next chapter in life.
Well October comes around, and things start to change. My mind started to mess with my plans and my two goals. I soon found myself in a huge predicament. Why? This wasn’t in my plan. Well November came and I still had yet to break the news to my family that I was now planning on staying in St. George for who knows what reasons, because I didn’t even know at the time. In all honesty I didn’t know. This was crazy to me. In August I didn’t want anything more than to move home, and now I wanted to stay in St. George and I didn’t know why.
Well I finally told my mom what was going on. I tell that woman everything. She was very nice and supported me. I didn’t want to tell my brothers, because we are the closest siblings on the face of the planet. I love those boys more than they will ever know. And they were so excited for me to move home. I was scared to tell my dad, because he is smart. He thinks everything through and is very logical when it came to decisions, especially with all the decisions I had made in my life thus far. I knew he would start to make me think. As I was still trying to decide if this decision (haha decisions Whit) was the right one, I prayed a lot. Slow and steady like always. I got the answers that I should go to the temple and call my dad. The next day I found myself at the temple. Yep, got the same answer to call my dad. However, I knew before calling my dad that I had to have a plan of attack. He was going to question me about everything. (This is not a bad thing about my dad. It’s a very good thing. He is the one person I put my whole heart and faith into help me with decisions, because I know he helps me understand what’s best for me. Like I said he doesn’t make the decision for me…he helps me.)
So when I felt ready to lay out my plan and answer his potential questions I called him. My mom and dad were on a “conference call” with me for about an hour. Every emotion was felt throughout that call, however, I learned a couple things about myself and my decision. I knew my “whys” for staying in St. George were not what they were supposed to be, and that if I was going to stay they would have to change and become better. Well almost being a college graduate at this time I knew I could come up with something to “persuade” them of this decision. One day while having spare time for about an hour I sat down and made them a power point. Yes you read right…I made a power point. It was called Game Plan for 2012 haha. This thing was chuck full of information from where I was going to apply for jobs; all about money; goals; etc. Everything my dad asked for with a bonus of pictures. I thought this presentation was just the greatest and I was so smart for making it. What I didn’t realize at the time was I just set up my life for me. I was originally trying to be a “smarty pants” let’s be honest, however, it turned into a reassurance and learning experience. Decision was made…I am living in St. George right now.
However, I was presented with another problem really quick. I needed a job. I am living on my own. One of my goals (in my power point of course) was to become independent. To pay all of my rent, grocery’s and all the other fun stuff. I was determined, and I mean determined that my parents would stop helping me with this kind of stuff. Not to shut my parents out, but more to prove to myself that I could do it. Well I was going home for Christmas Break for 3 weeks. I thought that’s a good amount of time for me to earn money at home wherever I can; make a resume; and even apply to a couple of jobs online. My rent was due at the beginning of the month, so my dad wrote a check so I could pay my landlord. Before I left to go to St. George I was determined to pay every single penny back. So I worked as much as I could. “You bet your bottom dollar” that I paid every single penny back, and I was so relieved that rent was finally paid. But I still had to live life. You know eat and buy necessities. To tell you the truth whenever I sat down to do a resume or apply online for a job I got this comforting feeling that everything will be fine when you get back in St. George. So I never did a resume while at home. Haha what absolutely crazy idea!
I found myself sitting at dinner the night before going back to St. George with no resume and I did not apply anywhere online. Great job Laur…NOT! That same night I got a text from a friend, Donny, just asking how life was. I proceeded to tell him the gist. I said, “I am staying in St. George actually, and now I am trying to find a job.” He proceeded to ask the same questions that everyone had asked me, which consisted of where I wanted to work. I continued to tell him that I wanted to work at a teenage recovery place. He quickly replied that he would talk to his boss. I honestly didn’t think much of it, because I was told the same thing by maybe 15 other people.
As Whit and I were on our way back to St. George I got another text from the same friend, and I couldn’t believe at what I just read. “Hey, Lauren you have an interview tomorrow. Is that going to work with you?” What? Are you kidding me? I was absolutely shocked beyond belief at this point. What an amazing blessing.
I end up going in for the interview the next day. 30 minutes later I had a job, and started to fill out paper work. One of the biggest reasons that I got this job was, because of “my reference.” My reference was my friend, Donny.
I still look back at this one little experience in life and am completely shocked at how it all came about. So through this long story I am so grateful for my life right now. I am grateful for an amazing family, my friends, everything that I have been given, and what I am learning. I am grateful for the simple and little things in life. And I am happy with where I am at in life.

3 comments:

  1. Lauren...what can I say except, "Wow". I have seen a change in you the past four weeks. You have a kick in your step and a light in your eyes. You were so afraid of "growing up" and you are doing it beautifully. I always knew you could do it, but more importantly, I think now you know too. Love you more than life itself. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren, thanks for sharing and I'm happy/proud of you! Looking forward to more posts by you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great job Lauren so proud of you. You do have the best family ever and you are a credit to your parents love Suzanne

    ReplyDelete